Monday, October 18, 2010

Liar Liar pants on fire......

I have to start by saying I stole this idea for a post from my friend who mentioned she read about this topic on someone else's blog. So credit is given to the blogger who went before me.

With that said, do you lie to your children? GASP! I do. A lot. I didn't realize it until my friend and I talked about the little white lies that pepper our day and if it's wrong or not.

"We're out of Lucky Charms" (as I use a pancake box to hide them and pull out the cheerios)
"The computer has to go night night"
"Mommy's phone is broken"
"That toy isn't for sale"

It goes on and on...they are out of my mouth before I decide if it's right or wrong. It's how I can navigate my day with a toddler and a 10 month old. J is almost three and maybe I can get away with it more because he doesn't really question much yet. Still takes my word as gold. What will happen I wonder when the "whys" start coming? How far will I be willing to go - multiple lies? The interesting thing is I really didn't realize how much I was doing it until I started to watch for it. White lies get us through our day. Sometimes kindness trumps truth. Although with children we're not really doing it out of kindness more out of survival. But I want to instill in my children the quality of truth and that lying for the most part is bad (especially to me). I'm sure when my children are teenagers I won't appreciate their white lies.

"I only had one beer"
"I don't really have any homework"
"Their parents will be home I swear...."

So even though long explanations will take more time, and really communicating with a three year old may just go right over his head, I am going to try and watch my lies. My first attempt was at Trader Joe's yesterday - it went like this:

J: Balloons?
Me: There are no balloons here anymore
J: Balloons? (looking at me questioningly)
Me: There aren't any balloons here anymore because they are bad for the environment, and when they pop, birds can eat them and then they can choke and.....and....(sputtering)
Cashier: (looking at me like I am absolutely crazy) Umm....we have stickers.
Me: Stickers! Yeah! Let's have stickers!
J: No balloons?
Me: The balloons are sleeping in the back. (grab stickers from chuckling cashier)

Oh well....there is always tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. good one! I especially like the part where the balloons are sleeping...need to use that one when he is asking about the moon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dianne...wow-i'm impressed! I'm w/ ya on the Balloons-didn't know you were so concerned about the birds! :)
    Oh, and here's another one... beer? Wine? No...it's mommy juice! :)
    nicole k.

    ReplyDelete