Thursday, September 16, 2010

The Mom I want to be....

I want to be the kind of Mom who:

-purees carrots and mixes them in my homemade zucchini bread so my kids have an extra helping of veggies
-makes her own play dough in different colors
-has a craft each day that corresponds with the "letter of the week" I'm studying with my pre-schooler
-showers everyday and puts on a cute outfit with make-up and hair done (this of course after working out first thing in the morning before the kids are up)
-plans her menus for the month and includes only things that are freshly cooked (no frozen here) and feeds her kids things like baked salmon or a fancy curry dishes (and have children that actually eat them)
-does yoga, meditates, reads the bible, has the laundry done, keeps an organized pantry all in the 3 hours the children are napping

I am the Mom who:

-makes banana bread from a Trader Joe's box and eats half of it before feeding it to the kids for a snack
-has been so frustrated with the lack of vegetable eating in the house, has actually stooped to shoving carrots into my poor son's mouth yelling - you will eat this! (not one my finer parenting moments)
-has craft day once every two weeks after reading someone else's blog about the daily craft time and feels guilty I don't finger paint with my son
-throws my hair in a ponytail, dashes on some lip gloss and calls it a day
-plans my menu for the week - posts it and a list for the grocery store on the fridge, forgets all about it and completely wings it at the grocery store, find menu and list months later under all the papers covering the fridge
-hates yoga, can't find my bible, is too ADD to meditate, actually keeps up with the laundry and doesn't actually have a pantry.


BUT - I am also a Mom who:


-rocks my almost three year old before bed singing Wheels on the Bus 7 times because I know the day will come he will no longer want to cuddle with me
-is the only one who can kiss a boo-boo and make it better
-still cuts up grapes into small pieces and also has the favorite fruit of the week on hand
-tries to keep meals balanced and healthy but knows a "ookie" or an "o-nut" can really make an afternoon snack special
-lays on the floor and plays trains for hours
-brings my son downstairs at 9pm at night when he can't sleep so we can sit outside and look at the full moon, which is one of his top three favorite things in the world
-and who loves both her children more than anything else in the world and will always and forever put them before anything else in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment